Thursday 15 September 2011

Thinking about the difference between 'making love' and paying for it, as a SL encounter

As you know I'm experimenting with personas on Second Life, so the other evening I went to a sex joint on SL to experience that. A guy asked me whether I wanted to be paid for having sex with him or if I did for nothing. I'd never experienced being a hooker, so I said he'd need to pay for it. I had no idea how much I'd charge, thinking I'd come up with some figure or other fairly soon. The guy said something along the lines of women aways wanting to be paid and a lot of women at this location weren't women anyway and why not just make love to him.  Mmm, I thought. I decided to enter into discussion with him. I said, yes, I'm female (and I am too!), and it was my very first time in asking for Linden dollars (which are pretty small), but why call free sex 'making love'. I'd only just met the guy, so it can't be love.

Is the euphemism, 'making love' what you do when you have short-circuited an actual relationship in lieu of that relationship - at least in the context I've described above?

Not long ago I reviewed a book on boundary violations, specifically sexual, committed by therapists while working with their clients. The author made the point that these violations occurred at the point when the therapist actually lost interest in their client, but being unable to face this fact, quickly moved into the personal space of the client to cover up - as it were - their loss of interest, thus changing the power dynamic completely. I wonder if there is a parallel process going on in the context described above. Or is it only the fact that SL guy above was too mean with his money? Why call it 'making love', though? Why not call it 'sex'? There is that hint of manipulation, that idea that to call sex 'making love' - even in virtual space - transgresses natural boundaries and covers over the fact that contact here was transitory and makes it, apparently 'alright'. It is not to say the contact was not real, for even virtual contact is real; it augments the here and now being in the world.

My response to him was not what he expected and he got very huffy and said a rather pointless thing, that he knew a lot of people here on SL. I responded and said I knew a lot of people here too. As if that mattered at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment